Bacon grease sugar cookies? Yup! Sometimes the best recipes come from just playing in the kitchen when a craving hits. That’s exactly how I figured out that bacon grease makes an amazing sugar cookie!
I make a ton of bacon. At least a pound each week, and I always save the bacon grease in my nifty grease keeper that always sits on my stove ready to capture that liquid gold! If you don’t save your bacon grease, you are missing out! I love this little ceramic container and I would recommend it to anyone who is living the high-fat life.
Soooo, when that bacon grease starts to pile up, you need a good way to use it in large doses. I got to thinking, I wonder if I could use bacon grease in place of butter for baking. Since I have to be dairy free or face a very slow and painful death, I thought maybe this would be a good idea. Turns out, it’s a pretty damned good idea!
These are a little different in terms of texture, but I think they taste just like a real sugar cookie. Mr. Rogue also gave them a rave review! You should definitely give them a try!
Here’s the recipe…
- 1 Cup Bacon Grease
- 1/2 Cup Swerve
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Cups Almond Meal
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In the bowl of your mixer cream bacon grease and Swearve until smooth, at least 3 minutes
- Beat in vanilla extract and egg.
- In a separate bowl combine baking powder and salt with almond meal and add a little at a time to the wet ingredients.
- Make balls of dough, about an inch in diameter and place on a greased baking sheet.You're welcome to flatten them out, but I thought they were delicious as balls. You should get 12-15 cookies from this batch.
- Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.