Long-time members of the low-carb community know and love the Miracle Brownie recipe
from About.com from Laura Dolson. I’ve long loved this recipe as well, even modified this recipe to lay off the flax a bit and go easy on my tummy.
Well, with my recent food allergy issues, I also had to find a way to modify the recipe to be dairy-free. Here’s what I came up with, this time I left all the flax in and just tackled the diary components.
- 1/2 Cup Palm Shortening
- 2 Cups Swerve Confectionary Sweetener
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla
- 4 Eggs (room temp is best)
- 1/2 Cup Cocoa
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 Oz Unsweetened Chocolate, Melted
- 2 Cups Bob's Red Mill Flax Seed Meal
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Swerve Granular Sweetener
- 1 Cup Walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9X13 pan.
- Cream the butter until fluffy.
- Add the erythritol to the butter and cream them together until fully combined (aim for a fluffy texture).
- Add the vanilla and beat the eggs into the mixture, one at a time.
- Add salt and cocoa, beat well.
- Add chocolate, beat until fluffy.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Pour into a pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes until top springs back. (You can also test if they're ready by sticking a toothpick in the brownies. If it comes out clean, or almost-so, they're done.)
- Cool, then cut into 32 squares. If you cheat and eat one warm, know that the texture will be different once completely cool. That's when they become like real brownies. (They are even better the next day.)