I will often make something in the crock-pot like chili, stew, or soup or make a casserole or two. This is the best solution I’ve come up with to ensure we don’t get stuck without healthy options and have to resort to less healthy, more convenient options like…dare I say it…the drive-thru. Thank goodness for places like Jimmy Johns, Inn-N-Out, and Chipotle for those times!
Here’s a good chicken soup recipe sans noodles, but for you gluten-free folks who allow items like gluten free pasta. You could easily add the noodles back in.
- 8 cups water or 8 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 cup carrot, cut into slices
- 1 cup celery, cut into slices
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 roasting chicken
- Combine water, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper in crock-pot.
- Place whole chicken on top of vegetables.
- Cover with lid and cook on low setting 8 to 10 hours or on high 4-5 hours.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Remove and discard skin, fat and bones from chicken; shred meat.
- Return chicken to soup and serve.