Squash makes for a (surprisingly) pretty tasty snack when you’re thinking about reaching for the fries or chips! Give these summer squash fries a try the next time you’re looking for a munchy. I used summer squash, but you can use any kind of squash you want. Many people use zucchini to make fries, that’s an option too!
Let me know what you think, I think they’re pretty tasty. Dip em in ranch if you’re low-carb or homemade mayo if you’re full blown paleo.
- 1 medium summer squash
- 2 eggs
- 1 cups coconut flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon mustard power
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Grease a large baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
- Cut your summer squash into wedges. Remove the seeds if they are quite large and set wedges aside.
- Whisk the eggs in a dish and set aside.
- In another dish, combine the bread crumbs, paprika, mustard powder and salt and pepper.
- Start by dipping the wedges, one by one, into the egg mixture and then the bread crumb mixture. Place each wedge on the greased baking sheet. Continue until all the wedges are done.
- You can bake the wedges as is for about 30-40 (until soft inside and golden brown on the outside) as is, but if you want a more golden texture, drizzle or spray some olive oil on top of the wedges. Flip half way through baking.
- Serve with ranch or another favorite dip.
- TIP: You can substitute 1 1/2 cups of gluten-free breadcrumbs for the coconut flour and almond meal if you allow these in your diet.